Bureau of Consumer Health Services

Website Feedback

Was this page helpful?
I did not find this page helpful because the content on the page (check all that apply):
CAPTCHA This question tests whether you are a human visitor and prevents automated spam submissions.

Icons from www.flaticon.com

Page last reviewed: May 8, 2023

Bureau of Consumer Health Services

We protect you through education and enforcement of local, state, and federal public health and environmental rules and standards as they relate to city-regulated waste, food safety, swimming pool safety, and ambulance services.

We also prevent foodborne illness, drownings and waterborne illnesses, and protect the environment against sanitary sewer overflow and other discharges.

Find Houston ordinances for food, pools, ambulance, special waste, and temporary food service.

Ambulance Permits

Get ambulance driver and private ambulance company permitting, decal and spot inspections, and learn about EMS program enforcement.

Food Manager and Handler Certificate

The Houston Health Department's Food Manager and Food Handler Certificate classes prepare and certify individuals to become food service managers and handlers.

Food Safety and Inspections

Changing ownership of a food establishment
Food manager and food handler certification
Frequently asked questions
Opening a food establishment
Mobile food units
Post-disaster food safety
Charitable feeding

Icon of person swimming

Food Truck Inspections

Scheduling your food truck inspection is now easier than ever. Our new, online appointment system lets you join the line from anywhere, wait wherever you want, receive wait time updates, and get notified when it's your turn.

Mobile Unit Inspection

Special Waste Permits

Our special waste program tracks waste, such as fat, oil and grease from commercial and residential establishments. Monitoring these waste products ensures that our city’s environment is protected from pollutants that may harm individuals and ecosystems.

Image of computer screen with icon of arrow to indicate "click here"

Swimming Pool Permits

We help you to avoid dangerous situations that can arise when your pool or spa fails to meet standard safety protocols.

Icon of person swimming

Temporary Food Permits

A temporary food permit may be issued only if the temporary food service establishment is part of an "event or "celebration." You may purchase up to 105 days of permits at the same location per calendar year.

Image of computer screen with icon of arrow to indicate "click here"

CDC: Food Safety Updates