Page last reviewed: June 5, 2023
WIC Nutrition Education
Your Voice Matters
Join us to talk about nutrition education at WIC. We want to know what matters most to you.
Where: Southwest Multi-Service Center (WIC Clinic), 6400 High Star Dr., 77074
When: Thursday, June 15, at 2 p.m.
Space is limited. Please call or text to reserve your place: 832-657-4561.
WIC is exploring new ways to engage clients with interactive, hands-on experiences when providing group nutrition education at the WIC office. Your suggestions and feedback are greatly valued to help us determine what nutrition education activities our clients are most interested in.
We will have snacks and prizes. $20 gift cards (limited availability).
WICook at Home is a new self-paced class that helps you prepare WIC-approved recipes at home.
How to participate in the WICook at Home Self-Paced Class
- Search for a recipe that includes two of the five food groups from any of these sources:
- A cookbook or handout from WIC or SNAP
- Get a copy of the cookbook Let’s Cook Together by calling your local WIC office at 832-393-5427. Supplies are limited and provided on a first come, first served basis!
- These websites:
- A cookbook or handout from WIC or SNAP
- Prepare your recipe. Get your little ones involved, too!
- Share your “cooking creation” by posting a picture of your prepared dish along with the recipe information on our WICook at Home Facebook Group. It will save you time at the WIC office appointment and help you empower other parents to do the same!
- Complete the class:
- Download the instruction flyer and recipe card to learn how to complete the class.
- Take our WICook at Home self-paced class by preparing a WIC-approved recipe at home and sharing a picture of the dish you prepared (along with the recipe) at your class appointment to demonstrate that you completed the class.
Videos: How to Participate in WICook at Home Self-Paced Class
Benefits and how to participate in WICook at Home (English with English subtitles)
Benefits and how to participate in WICook at Home (Spanish with Spanish subtitles)
WICook at Home Facebook Group
Join our WICook at Home family in our WICook at Home Facebook group.
- Share home cooking ideas and recipes with other WIC participants. Learn from a WIC nutritionist how to make healthier food choices for you and your family.
Videos: How to Join the WICook at Home Facebook Group
How to join the WICook at Home Facebook group (English with English subtitles)
How to join the WICook at Home Facebook group (English with Spanish subtitles)
WIC is a unique food assistance program. In addition to health monitoring and referrals, a central mission of the WIC program is to improve the health of women, infants and children by providing quality nutrition and breastfeeding counseling and education.
Nutrition Education Counseling
During appointments for enrollment, renewal of benefits and food package changes, a WIC nutritionist will perform the health/nutrition screening and deliver nutrition education over the phone.
We focus on promoting health and minimizing nutritional risks. During WIC certification visits, nutritionists can discuss your concerns about food choices and feeding skills, physical activity, weight control, anemia prevention, and healthy eating while pregnant or breastfeeding.
We also offer individual counseling and phone consultations from Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDN) for nutrition related challenges such as unintended weight loss, obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
Videos: How to Talk with a Nutritionist
Talk with a nutritionist (English with English subtitles)
Talk with a nutritionist (English with Spanish subtitles)
Nutrition Education Classes (three choices)
For benefit issuance appointments (often called class pick appointments), you have several choices for receiving nutrition education activities, and all can be completed in the convenience of your home. Choices are described below:
Click and learn classes: Clients can complete a self-paced click and learn class at a time that is convenient for them. Newer classes include:
- Online classes at Texas WIC.
- Live Classes. Clients have the opportunity to learn and engage with a live expert on a variety of nutrition and breastfeeding topics and have their questions answered in real-time. Classes are offered at set days and times. The live classes are posted in the Texas WIC Express each week and a monthly calendar is sent to directors. See below for upcoming live class options.
- WICook at Home self-paced class. Get nutrition education credit when you choose your recipe form an approved WIC source and enjoy eating it with family and friends. See instructions above.
- Peer Counselors. WIC mothers who have worked through their own breastfeeding challenges; they are trained and ready to provide mother-to-mother breastfeeding encouragement and support. They can also help you with using a breast pump and developing a breastfeeding plan for when you return to work or school.
- Breast pump program. We offer manual and electric breast pumps to help you to initiate and maintain breastfeeding. To be eligible for a free breast pump, you and your baby must be actively enrolled in WIC. If you have not received through your healthcare plan a breast pump that works for you, call us at: 832-393-5427.
- Lactation consultant home visitation program. International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (healthcare professionals who specialize in the clinical management of breastfeeding) provide home visitation services to assess your breastfeeding needs and support your goals.
Call the number to schedule your home visit with a lactation consultant.